Had a strange problem recently whereby a Windows XP Pro machine didn’t seem to want to connect to the internet, or so it appeared. I tried accessing google.com and hotmail.com and both returned error pages as did MSN Live Messenger when trying to log in.
I checked the BT HomeHub and the broadband light and LAN lights were on but I rebooted the hub just for good measure.
I then connected my iPhone to the hub via wi-fi and it was instantly online so no problem with the broadband connection itself and access to google.com and hotmail.com was fine.
The ethernet cable from the router to the computer was seated correctly, the XP machine had picked up an IP properly from the router’s DHCP, it all seemed ok.
I tried accessing bbc.co.uk just in case it was a caching error and to my surprise it loaded the page without delay. After trying a few others, skynews.com, digg.com, etc I established it was just a handful of sites affected. Continue reading “Unable to access google.com (a few other sites) or sign into MSN messenger (fix)”
UPDATE (27 Feb 2007) – SMS bug is fixed now in 1.1.4
It looks like there’s a bug with software version 1.1.3 that affects most people but only under a few certain conditions:
- If you send short SMS to people and they reply very quickly
- The clock on your iPhone is set slighlty off true “atomic” time (GMT) in my case.
I have taken a few photos to demonstrate this to you but to give an overview, the new software seems to sort outgoing SMS by the iPhone time it was sent but sorts incoming messages by the time on the SMS server of the 3rd party. If you’re iphone time happened to be 1 minute behind the time of the SMS server, then if your 3rd party replies and you send another message out in under 1 minute, initially the SMS will look ok on the screen, but exit to all SMS list and then re-view the thread and your messages will all be out of sync.
Trust me it’s much easier to visual in the photos and try replicating by sending yourself some SMS:
I then tried updating my iPhone clock to exact GMT but it doesn’t allow me to set seconds, although seconds may set to zero when hitting save. As you can see in the last two image, I must have set the phone a little ahead of GMT as the problem was reversed with my messages grouping after the replies!
Some undocumented new features (or fixes) included with 1.1.3
- Two finger text entry for capital letters. To get a single captial letter prior to 1.1.3 you had to press shift then press the letter you wanted. With 1.1.3 you can now press shift+letter simultaneaously and it gives the same result as a standard full sized keyboard.
- SMS alert popup now rotates between portrait and landscape, pretty sure it didn’t do that in 1.1.2
- You can tap white circles to jump to another home screen rather than swiping. This has always been the case in weather app, etc but there are still iPhone users out there who don’t know this.
- Enhanced gmail access via IMAP now rather than POP, although I already have my gmail setup via IMAP using the “other” option pre-1.1.3
- iTunes store gift voucher redemption from the phone, should any body give you an iTunes gift card and you need to buy some songs/movies whilst out and about.
- Manually manage music/videothrough iTunes
….I did have lots more but they’re pretty much well known about know so I’ve left this post unfinished but feel free to post in the comments section.