I was recently asked or help with a problem opening links from emails in Outlook Express. It seemed that clicking web/url links in an email didn’t open the default browser and load the page, it just did nothing.
Fortunately there was an easy fix [for those using Internet Explorer as their default browser at least]:
- Click on the Start button in the lower left corner
- Near the bottom right of the Start Menu you should see “Run…”, click that
[This should then bring up a black window with some text in?]
- In that window type the following (without the quotation marks)
once you have typed the above in hit return key.
- A small window should popup saying
“DLLREGISTERSERVER in urlmon.dll succeeded”
Click OK in this popup window.
- You can now close the black window that opened up after Step 2.
- Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools in the top menu and then select Internet Options from the list.
- Once it has opened the internet options pages, along the top you should see various tabs, click on the tab called “Programs”
- There should be an option in there to check that Internet Explorer is the default browser. If it is ticked, untick it, hit apply then re-tick and hit apply again. If it is not ticked just tick it and hit apply. Either way you need this option ticked but if it’s already ticked you need to untick and then retick it to make sure.
- You may also need to click on the “Advanced tab” and see if there is an option to reset internet explorer settings at the bottom, if so click that too and hit ok to close the settings pages.
Now reboot the computer, once rebooted try opening Internet Explorer first and if it prompts you that it is not the default web browser you should click yes to make it default. Next open Outlook Express and see if that has solved the problem with the links in emails.