I suddenly started getting http 403 errors on my self hosted [with native apache installation] site that worked perfectly until Feb 5th 2010. The errors showing up in the access log looked like:
[Fri Feb 19 02:05:25 2010] [crit] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: /Users/username/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable, referer: http://127.0.0.1/
I’m not sure what changed, perhaps an OS X update from Apple, but after restoring all /private/etc/apache2/* files and the my /Users/username/Sites/ folder via TimeMachine to a date when things were working it still wouldn’t play ball.
Eventually I came across the soultion, it seems the chmod levels of the default folders had changed so doing the following in Terminal:
chmod 701 ~
chmod 705 ~/Sites
Whilst trying to work on a very large (800MB) photoshop file things just weren’t running as smoothy as I expected on my Mac Pro.
I opened up Activity Monitor to see if it was a RAM shortage when I noticed my CPU history was almost maxed out, but NOT by the photoshop process. My cpu cycles were getting chewed up by a system process called ATSServer .
Continue reading “ATSServer process using 200% cpu on OS X”
I very rarely use my old MacBook Pro but I recently came to use it and there were 10+ updates waiting to be installed including the new OS X 10.5.6 update.
I left them all downloading and updating but one, the Safari update, refused to work. It said I had insufficient access rights but considering I’m the only user and I’ve always been setup as an administrator this was strange.
Continue reading “The update “Safari” cannot be saved [fix]”