Did your entire computer or Sage 50 Accounts crash on you? Perhaps one of the annoying Windows updates restarted your computer whilst Sage Accounts was open? Now you try and launch Sage Accounts, enter your username and password (or the default username of manager) and it gives you an error stating:
Username is in use – the program cannot connect you at this time
Your only option is to click OK which isn’t very helpful. Even after a full system reboot the same thing happens. Note that I use Sage 50 Accounts Plus 2011 (v17) but I’ve had the same thing happen before in Sage 2010, 2007 etc and the principal behind the fix hasn’t changed so give it a try.
After half an hour on the phone to Sage support, there is a very simple solution:
- Click on Start–>My Computer
- Double click on the C:\ drive or which ever drive letter has your \Documents and Settings\ folder on and double click to go into the \Documents and Settings\ folder
- Double click to go into the \All Users\ folder
- Double click to go into the \Application Data\ folder
[if you can’t see an \Application Data\ folder and the first in the list alphabetically is \Desktop\ then you need to click on Tools in the menu bar, the Folder Options, then click on the View tab and look in the list for “Show hidden files and folders” and select this option, then you should be able to see the \Application Data\ folder although it might look feint or greyed out.
- Once in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ folder scroll down and then double click on \Sage\ folder
- Double click to go into the \Accounts\ folder
- Then depending on when you first setup the account click to go into that year, in my case I have a \2010\ and a \2011\ folder but my data is in the \2010\ folder so double click to go into the year.
- You should then see a \Company.000\ folder, I assume that if you have a license for multiple company accounts there may be several of these, one for each company accounts but in my instance I have a single user and single company licence so I just have one \Company.000\ so click to go into that
- Once in \Company.000\ click on the \ACCDATA\ folder
- Nearly there…. I am now in the following directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sage\Accounts\2010\Company.000\ACCDATA\
- There will be lots of files with a .dta file extension in here, simply scroll down to until you see QUEUE.DTA and select it.
- At this point you could (but don’t) just delete QUEUE.DTA as this is the file that is locking you out from Sage and will be recreated when you next login and no company information will be lost at all. But rather than just deleting the file, it is better practice to rename this file to something different so that if it does break something, you can rename it back to the original and no harm is done.
- Right click on QUEUE.DTA and choose rename.
- Type in a new filename, in this case I’ll rename it to QUEUE.DTA.OLD and hit enter.
- Now try logging into Sage Account again and you should be all fixed.
- sage username is in use
- ?Software retrieve email from facebook?
- sage 50 username is in use
- my old sage programme has locked me out saying username not valid
- my sage programme will not load after windows update
- queue dta is in use even after deleting